Current Overpopulation Problems
Today's problems with overpopulation are somewhat related to Rome's problems. In the world there are over 7 billion people and the numbers are still rising. Currently the birth rate is higher than the death rate because today the medicines are more advanced than they were 2000 years ago. Every year the population is rising by 80,000 people. If it continues to rise at the same rate, in forty years the population will get up to 10 billion people.

People need space to live and right now the space that is not occupied by humans is being used for plants and animals homes. If the population continues to grow like this there will be animals and plants homes destroyed. There has already been a large number of trees cut down in the United States. There are also scientists who have predicted that elephants, big cats, and polar bears will go extinct within the next 20 years.
The unemployment rates are rising and there are more people who are trying to survive without jobs. This is bad because the cost of food and other materials are going up and it is causing inflation. The people without jobs don't have enough money to buy their families food. Therefore there are a lot of people dying in starvation. In places like Africa there are people who don't have the money to buy food and supplies for their families. Studies show that 33% of people living in Africa are hungry.
As the population is rising, so is pollution. There are more and more people who are throwing away trash, using electricity, and driving cars.

In the U.S immigration has also been a problem. There have been many people immigrating to the United States because of the political freedom, the possible economic opportunity, and the freedom in religion. When a lot of people immigrate to a certain part of the world the population is becomes unbalanced and a lot of people are crowding in a certain area.
We will need double the amount of fresh drinking water today if the population gets up to 12 billion people by 2100. Only 3% of the water on the planet is fresh water and safe for people to drink. The other 97% isn't fresh water and could possibly be contaminated. Currently there are 400 million people who live in a place without enough fresh drinking water. If you think about it that is the more than the population in the United States.

Because the Chinese population is almost 20% of the world China set a law in 1979 that citizens can only have one child. If a citizen in China disobeyed the rules they would be taxed half of their income or be punished by losing their job. Citizens who obeyed the rules would get benefits from the government.

Possible Solutions

There are people in the world today who don't even realize what is going on with overpopulation and there are some on the other hand who are suffering from it. Other people realize what is going on, but they don't try to fix it because they think that technology is advanced enough to find a solution. In this case technology can't fix the problem because it is the people who need to be aware of overpopulation and what harm it could do to our world. One possible solution is to educate more people about overpopulation. That way they will be away of minor problems that could very quickly turn into major problems. More people will realize what is potentially at risk, and they could try to help solve it by only having one or two kids. This could have been a possible solution in ancient Rome. They could have educated young kids about the risks of overpopulation and how they can help solve the problem. That way once that generation got older they could teach it to the next generation and so forth.

Another possible solution is to tax people 2% more who have three or more kids. This way adults will be less likely to have more than two kids. This would hopefully bring the birth rates down and balance the population so the world could maintain it. This solution gives the government more money to be able to create new jobs for people who are unemployed. If this happens, the population will hopefully stay at around a maximum of seven billion people. The government in ancient Rome could create a population law and they could easily become in control of the population.